Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Red Lentil Coconut Soup


I decided to spend a part of my afternoon ignoring the fact that Lucy isn't napping, and am making soup instead.  I thought it was a great plan at the time.  It did pretty much backfire on me, but that's for another blog.  Anyway this soup is full of Thai flavors and was adapted from a recipe I got from my friend Victor Littig, who until recently was the chef at Lake Street Cafe in Elkhart Lake.  I had this soup there on a cold winter night in December - and its perfect to enjoy right now too, since we are currently entering the Frigid Blast of 2009, according to the weather people.  It is aromatic and tasty and the lentils give it a protein boost so it is probably good for a light meal.  I will post a pic of it tonight after we have it for dinner!

Red Lentil Coconut Soup

2 medium red onions, chopped
1 stalk lemongrass, sliced thin
10 cloves garlic, minced
1 thai bird chili, minced
3 T olive oil
1 c. red lentils
1 14 oz can coconut milk
14 oz water
2-3 kaffir lime leaves (can be omitted if you don't have)
1/2 to 1 tsp. salt
juice of one lime
3 scallions, chopped
1/2 c. cilantro leaves, chopped

Saute the onions, lemongrass, garlic and chili over medium low heat in about 3 T olive oil (eyeball it, as Rachael Ray would say) (sorry Tom for the Rachael Ray reference, but at least I didn't say EVOO). After about 10-15 minutes, the lemongrass and everything will get soft, which is what you want.  What you don't want is to burn the garlic, so keep that flame down.  Garlic gets bitter if burnt.
Add the lentils, water, coconut milk and lime leaves and bring to a boil.  Then lower heat and simmer until lentils are soft, about 25 or 30 minutes.  Then add salt to taste when the lentils are soft.  Don't salt before cooking the lentils - I have heard that will toughen lentils.
Right before serving, add a squeeze of lime juice and chopped cilantro and scallions to the bowl.  The soup has a little heat to it but die hards may want to add a squirt of Sriracha hot sauce.  

Edited to add: Photo of soup above; Note re: chili.  The chili pepper I used, which was a skinny green one, ribs and seeds and all, had no heat.  I will use something different next time.  Also, be sure to saute the aromatics for a while before adding the lentils.  The lemongrass stalks will be a bit crunchy otherwise!

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    Good luck with your new blog!!! I will absolutely try this soup and the tip about really cooking the lemon grass would have served me well last night with my crab/coconut milk soup. We shall cook together some time!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete