Monday, January 5, 2009

First. Post. Ever.

Here we go... New Years Resolution number one is underway.  Does this mean I can forgo the other one, getting in shape?
I have talked and talked for a long time about starting a page about food.  I love to eat and read about cooking, dining, and to some extent, nutrition and the agricultural industry.  I know there are a lot of great food blogs and pages out there, and I am not sure I can reach that level of greatness.  But my goal is simply to share various food experiences - the sublime to the ordinary.  As a stay at home mom of two, we have plenty of ordinary... I probably shouldn't tell you that today I had a hot dog and shells and cheese for lunch.  But we also seek out, and occasionally find, the extraordinary.  The unforgettable... perfect tacos de carnitas, with a greasy and crispy filling of delicious pork, spicy green salsa, a sprinkling of salt, some chopped cilantro and onions, and a squeeze of lime... spicy fish curry with a broth of coconut milk flavored with fish sauce, thai chilis, onions ladled on top of perfect sticky jasmine rice...or garlicky pan seared chicken thighs simmered in a sauce of white wine, green olives, and crushed red pepper.  These are a few of my favorite things to make at home, and hopefully, as the posts progress, I'll have a chance to share these recipes and many others with you.  To the extent that we can actually get out of the house to eat at restaurants, I will share that too.  
The title of my blog comes from a favorite Hemingway book, where he writes about living, and to some extent eating, as a young writer in Paris.  I live in Cedarburg, Wisconsin.  So don't get any awesome ideas about that.  But Hemingway was definitely passionate about describing flavors, textures, and emotions surrounding some of his favorite foods.  We do have that in common. 

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blog land! I'm so not a foodie, but I'll read anyway. . . and maybe pick up a tip or two.

    ReplyDelete