Monday, January 26, 2009

Greek Yogurt: One of many things Greeks are the best at


Greek yogurt is a whole different animal than regular yogurt, and is really so much more special and tasty it deserves its own post.  It is a thick, rich, tart/sour and creamy concoction that is very versatile and can be used both in savory and sweet ways.  It does have a few downsides... its a bit pricey and the full fat is pretty high in fat.  So I don't end up buying it too much but when I do I always wish I had more.  
My mom loves to eat it with fresh fruit, granola, and a dollop of honey.  The other day I stirred a few shakes of cinnamon and a little bit of honey into it before dipping the strawberries in it, and it was made for a great sweet treat.  It makes regular yogurt seem pretty boring.  
Another way I like to use greek yogurt is to make a quick tzatziki - I add some chopped cucumber, a little lemon juice and olive oil, some chopped mint or parsley, and salt and pepper - you can have with grilled lamb or chicken, or on its own as a little salad (if you eat it on its own I would add more cucumbers).
I hear the fat free version of the Fage brand is almost as good as the full fat... does anyone have any thoughts on that?  Any other ways you like to eat greek yogurt?

1 comment:

  1. Hey katie,
    Can you put on this blog the recipe for Grandma's wedding soup...the one with the lemon that she uses like chiken soup?

    ReplyDelete