Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tropical Salad with Cilantro-Mint Dressing

I know I need to get better at making meals that both the kids and I like to eat... this would not be on that list, to be sure. The funny, and slightly pathetic thing, is that I already did eat with my kids (we all enjoyed delicious pigs in a blanket about an hour ago). Now I just sat down to eat this. You see, there are actually some advantages to being pregnant, one of which is being able to rationalize this behavior.
This salad will be right up your alley if you like the freshness of mint and cilantro together. I know many people don't have mint in their fridge very often, but I would like to take this moment to encourage you to plant mint in your garden/yard this spring. I like to add mint to my iced tea, lemonade, fruit salads, and lettuce salads, especially in the summer. It is a great garnish for a variety of thai curries. My mom also likes to make mint tea by steeping mint in a little hot water. You should probably plant your mint in an obscure area of the yard or garden because it spreads larger every year and it can take an area over (yes it comes back every year and may even live year round if you have a mild winter). It seems to be the herbs in this dressing that make this salad stand out, as well as make the mango and veggies "work" together.
If you aren't going to enjoy a pig in a blanket as your "starter" to this meal, you could certainly add some protein to this such as a portion of cooked chicken, canned tuna or salmon, or even some grilled shrimp to make a complete meal.
Finally, the serving size for the salad is one... but as you can see it would be pretty simple to double or quadruple the recipe if you have friends.

2-3 c. mixed baby lettuce or other torn lettuce leaves (red, boston/bibb, or green would work fine)
1/2 avocado, cut into chunks
1/2 ripe mango, cut into chunks
1/2 c. english cucumber, cut into chunks
3-5 cherry tomatoes, halved (or small tomato cut into chunks)

Dressing:
1 lime, juiced
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
2-3 T cilantro, chopped
1/2 T mint, chopped
salt and pepper to taste



No comments:

Post a Comment