Friday, December 17, 2010

Egg Salad with Bacon and Basil: Its Not Just for Lunch Anymore

This morning, I was not in the mood for any of my standard breakfasts, which vary from a yogurt and handful of granola to a fried egg on toast. Perhaps it was the fact that I got the most inspiring cookbook in the mail yesterday, Around My French Table, by Dorie Greenspan, and I can't wait to start getting into it (thanks Meg!). No, this recipe isn't from that cookbook or even based on that cookbook, but reading it over coffee this morning definitely made me want to eat something delicious. So I started thinking and quickly came up with this one... and took a picture before I started digging in, because I thought it might be something worth sharing. Turns out I was right. There is a lot of wisdom to the fact that if you add bacon to something, it gets markedly better, and this was no exception. It got put together pretty fast and was definitely better (although not as healthy) as my standard breakfasts usually are.





2 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped/mashed
2 pieces of cooked bacon, chopped
2 basil leaves, chopped
2 tsp. lemon zest
2 T mayonnaise
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Mix all ingredients well and serve in between slices of toast. Makes two sandwiches.

I think that's the quickest recipe I've ever posted! I didn't exactly measure but I am pretty confident that all the measurements are right -- isn't it funny that everything is in twos? Okay, I admit, I did cook three pieces of bacon and that third piece still managed to make it into my mouth but not into the egg salad.

What I loved about this, simply, was the lemon, basil and bacon. I feel like lemon and mayo should just always be together -- on a sandwich at least. It gives mayo a freshness and zip and I just love. Basil also added a nice freshness -- and I suppose another herb you might have on hand would work great too (parsley, chives, or cilantro would all be nice I would think). And do I even need to explain the bacon thing? Salty, crispy, and so... breakfasty. Makes this egg salad a "breakfast egg salad".

Stay tuned for more recipes from my new cookbook! I am hoping to get into it this weekend and will share whatever I make. I mean, I'll share my experience... not the actual food. That's for me.

4 comments:

  1. what a great breakfast sandwich idea! i often struggle with what to make for breakfast. sounds like a winner! michele w.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great, Katie! I just drooled over a a menu for "A Cozy French Supper" in bon appetit consisting of recipes from Dorie Greenspan's cookbook that you mentioned above. Check out Top-Secret Chocolate Mousse! Mmmmm! Linda Bremner

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making this now, Katie..thanks!
    Love,
    Mrs.Chaney

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mrs. Chaney: Hope you like it! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete