Friday, December 4, 2009

Kid Stuff

I haven't really written before about food I cook for my kids, and that is probably, unfortunately, because it isn't that interesting. It is very gratifying to make a meal that my kids love -- but unfortunately it is often something that is either out of a box, bag, or can, and doesn't involve any real skill on my part. I get that kids like simple flavors, etc., but I wish there was more variety to their favorites, and that they liked more natural foods (other than fresh fruit, which they generally love). I have somehow trained Lucy to say, on occasion "thank you very much for the lovely dinner" which is always nice to hear -- and I would love to hear it even more, and not just when I make Spiderman Macaroni and Cheese, Sponge Bob Macaroni and Cheese, or Scooby Doo Macaroni and Cheese (current top three meals in my house).
And so, this post is going to pose a few questions for you... 1)is anyone out there actually reading this? and 2)if the answer to that question is yes, do you have any tips, as a parent or just a food lover, for meal ideas for kids, namely, a three and a half year old and 15 month old? Here are a few goals: a balanced meal, focus on natural foods as much as possible, and have it actually taste good.
If I get any responses, I'll create a master list, including some of my favorites, that I/you can bookmark and hopefully use for meal ideas.

4 comments:

  1. Chicken parm is one of our family's favorites and everyone eats it! I can share my simple recipe. In a time crunch I use ragu. Meals that everyone will eat are the best. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black bean, cilantro, and pico quesadillas using wheat tortillas are a favorite. allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like straight up homemade pizza and i know your kids will love that too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly loves sweet potatoe fries which are good either if you make them yourself or by the Alexia brand from the frozen foods section. Pair those with fish sticks (yes, not healthy, but if you buy some natural ones, I feel better than if I use Vande Kamps or something) and brocoli and you got yourself a well balanced meal in my opinion. Molly also loves spaghetti, not very creative, but easy and relatively healthy. In my house, we tend to stick to the basics, which is boring, but easy. And by the way, I ALWAYS check this blog so don't stop.

    ReplyDelete