Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Perfect Bite

Is there anything better than the perfect bite?  Just the right combination of flavors and textures, it hits your mouth like a little firework and makes you want to smile while you're in the middle of eating it.  I think a perfect bite can come in infinite shapes and sizes.  It might be a juicy burger with all the fixings in just the right place, or a little bit of fried egg, bacon and hashbrown on one fork.  One that came to mind tonight while was making dinner is pictured here.  It is simply avocado, lemon, salt and pepper.  (One of the advantages of cooking is getting to taste the goods while you go.   In my family it is known as a "schnibble" (spelling made up by me...  this may be the first time this word was ever written), named by my dad for a little bite of a brat or other piece of meat eaten while still on the grill.  If you were lucky, as a kid, you would get one of these while he was grilling out.)  Anyway, I schnibbled (verb form) on this while making a salad tonight and it was so tasty.  My camera isn't nice enough to see that there was a nice sprinkling of lime and some crunchy sea salt and cracked pepper on there.  The avocado is so creamy, and combined with the tart lemon juice, it is one nice little bite.  The perfect bite doesn't need to be complicated or high brow at all... it simply needs to leave you wishing you had just one more, just like it.  

2 comments:

  1. I love my avocado bites with a squeeze of lime and salt. I don't think there's much better....

    Thanks for the new word, I will be spreading "schnibble" around the greater South Bend area like wildfire!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. has lucy overcome her adversion to avacado after the 2006 daycare incident? Life without avacados would be a very sad one, they are by far my favorite fruit...finding a perfect one can sometimes be both costly and challenging in the city. A question for you to ponder...how to mexican resturaunts always have such perfect avacados when it is so difficult for regular consumers to get them???

    ReplyDelete